The Pros and Cons of Tear-Off vs. Overlay Roof Replacements: Insights from Orion Roofing, Hillsboro’s Top Roofer for 3 Decades
When it comes to replacing a roof, there are two main options: tear-off or overlay. Each option has its pros and cons, and it’s essential to understand them before making a decision. Here are some insights from Orion Roofing, Hillsboro’s top roofer for 3 decades, serving the Portland metro area.
Tear-Off Roof Replacements:
- A complete removal of the old roof allows for a thorough inspection of the roof deck. This ensures that any underlying issues are addressed before the new roof is installed.
- Tear-off replacements allow for the installation of a new underlayment, which provides an extra layer of protection against moisture and other elements.
- Tear-off replacements can add to the value of your home by improving the overall appearance and function of your roof.
- Tear-off replacements can be more expensive than overlay replacements, as they require more labor and materials.
- Tear-off replacements can be more time-consuming than overlay replacements, as the old roof must be completely removed before the new one can be installed.
Overlay Roof Replacements:
- Overlay replacements are generally less expensive than tear-off replacements, as they require fewer materials and less labor.
- Overlay replacements can be completed more quickly than tear-off replacements, as the old roof does not need to be completely removed.
- Overlay replacements can be a good option if the existing roof is still in good condition but needs a bit of extra protection.
- Overlay replacements may not be possible if the existing roof has significant damage or if there are already multiple layers of roofing in place.
- Overlay replacements may not provide the same level of protection as tear-off replacements, as there is no opportunity to inspect the roof deck or install a new underlayment.
- At Orion Roofing, we understand the pros and cons of both tear-off and overlay roof replacements. Our experienced team of roofers can help you determine which option is best for your specific needs and budget. Contact us today to learn more about our roofing services and to schedule a consultation.