During a recent roof inspection in Cornelius, Oregon, Jason discovered 4 areas that are at high risk of leaking:
1. No Starter Strip installed. Two layers of roofing were detected. When the most recent roof was installed, they did not install a starter shingle. Skipping this step can cause leaks in the soffit areas of your home.
2. The shingles are budded up too close to the siding causing debris to get trapped and moss to grow . Not having the proper installation technique in areas such as this can cause leaks into your home.
3. Previous repairs starting to deteriorate. The previous repairs to the pipe flashings (done by others) indicates prior problems as the repairs are beginning to deteriorate. The cracked pipe flashing and gaps allows a direct entry point for water to follow the pipe and enter the home.
4. Fasteners breaking through the shingles and exposed fasteners both provide a direct path for water to get into the home.
Some Additional Signs in May be Time to Replace Your Roof
The roof of your home is the first line of defense against the elements, and it’s important to keep it in good condition. However, over time, your roof will start to show signs of wear and tear, and it may be time to consider a replacement. Here are some signs that it may be time to replace your roof:
- Age: Most roofs have a lifespan of 15 to 25 years. If your roof is approaching or exceeding this age, it may be time to consider a replacement.
- Sagging or curling shingles: Sagging or curling shingles are a sign of structural damage and can lead to leaks and water damage inside your home.
- Missing or broken shingles: Missing or broken shingles are a gap in your roof’s protective barrier, which can lead to leaks and water damage inside your home.
- Leaks or water damage in the attic or ceiling: If you notice leaks or water damage in your attic or ceiling, it could be a sign that your roof needs to be replaced.
- Excessive moss or algae growth: Moss and algae growth on a roof can damage shingles, shorten their lifespan and make your roof slippery. It can also be an indication of poor ventilation or other systemic issues.
- Damage after severe weather: If your roof sustained significant damage from a storm, such as missing shingles, cracked or bent shingles, or leaks, it may be time to replace the roof.
If you notice any of these signs, it’s important to call a professional, such as Orion Roofing and Sheet Metal, for an inspection. A trained and experienced roofing contractor will be able to assess the condition of your roof and recommend the best course of action. If a replacement is necessary, they will be able to provide you with a free proposal and estimate.
#orionroofing #orionroofingandsheetmetal #roofing #homeimprovement #familyprotection #30yearsinbusiness